Amazing Caribbean Holidays for Sports Enthusiasts
Are you an active adventurer looking for a getaway that’s more than just a relaxing beach holiday? Then the Caribbean is the destination for you. With its crystal clear blue waters and near-perfect temperatures, this sunny region is ideal for all kinds of sports enthusiasts. Cricket is in the blood and the sea hosts a plethora of water sports.
Whether you’re looking for an active holiday on dry land or to get wet and wild in the ocean, the sports on offer here are seemingly endless.
Cricket is potentially the most popular sport in all of the Caribbean. For some it could even be described as a way of life rather than a game. There are many legendary players who hail from this area, such as Brian Lara from Trinidad, Sir Garfield Sobers, raised in Barbados and Sir Vivian Richards who acquired his prowess in Antigua and Barbuda. Players incorporate a regional flair and style into their gameplay, all to the sound of conch shells, steel bands and cheering crowds, ensuring that a cricket match in the Bahamas, Jamaica, the British Virgin Islands and, in reality, almost any of the Caribbean destinations will be a cultural experience for visiting spectators.
Whether you’re looking to try your hand at cricket or simply watch a match, the Caribbean is one of the best spots in the world to do so.
Recommended Cricket Experiences
- Southall Travel can help you book a cracking cricket holiday to countries such as Saint Kitts, Barbados, Antigua and Saint Lucia.
- Local residents are renowned for their welcoming friendliness so head to the beach and join in one of the spontaneous games that are frequently held on the sand.
The Caribbean boasts a huge number of prestigious courses, many of which will be familiar to golf aficionados as venues for world-class championships like those held in Barbados, and Jamaica. Pack up your clubs and irons (or hire them on site), and book a vacation to play the beautiful game on a course against a tropical backdrop in Antigua or the Bahamas. There’s plenty out there to challenge the amateur, and many opportunities to learn or hone your game on world-class courses in locations as diverse as Anguilla and the Cayman Islands.
And if that wasn’t enough, the Caribbean is a destination that will delight your other half even if they have no interest in golf!
Recommended Golfing Experiences
- If you want the very best in all-inclusive golf resorts then Sandals should be one of your first ports of call. With luxury holidays available in the Bahamas, Jamaica and Saint Lucia, guests enjoy free transfers and endless rounds exempt from green fees.
- Barbados and Grenada are also home to some fine courses for a golfing holiday like no other. Virgin Holidays can help organise a sporting trip to any of these islands.
- Topping the charts as ‘the place’ to play golf in the Caribbean right now is Casa de Campo in theDominican Republic. Recently added to Resort Marketing International’s portfolio, this one will certainly exceed your expectations.
Additional Land Sports
Still haven’t sated your thirst for Caribbean sports? Most countries offer some, if not all, of the following at one of their local facilities:
- Track and field
Contact our travel specialists for more information.
To make a good holiday great, sign your child up for one of the many sports camps hosted in a variety of Caribbean destinations and let them take advantage of all the fantastic athletics this part of the world has to offer. From windsurfing and scuba diving off Antigua to adventure camps in St. Kitts, Nevis and Saint Maarten, the range is vast. Who knows, perhaps this will be the beginning of their successful sports career.
You’ll get a chance to recharge, spend some alone time with your spouse and maybe even check out your resort’s spa, while the kids will love the chance to blow off some steam, develop new skills and make new friends
Surf’s up – and you’re up to surf! Put on your wetsuit, grab your surfboard and get your fill of those swelling waves that just beg for you to ride them. With water temperatures averaging around 26 degrees Celsius and trade winds that are just perfect, this is truly a surfer’s paradise in destinations such as Barbados, Puerto Rico and Jamaica.
This sport is not for the faint hearted – however, you don’t need to be an expert to try it out. Many resorts often have their own knowledgeable instructors on their staff with years of experience and surfboards for hire (although beginners may wish to try their luck with a boogie board until they get their sea legs).
Recommended Surfing Experiences
- Kenwood Travel is known for its fantastic water sport resorts and offers locations on numerous islands, like the hugely popular Coyaba Beach Resort in Grenada.
- Blue Water Resort & Spa in Antigua has in-house instructor who are available to their guests. You can also hire your boards direct from the hotel.
From the side of the boat that takes you out to sea, you are just one splash away from encountering a whole new world deep under the ocean, a world unlike anything you’ve ever seen before. Jump in and dive down to reap the rewards of ancient shipwrecks, gorgeous coral reefs and local sea life. Whether you choose to holiday in the British Virgin Islands, Belize, the Caymans Islands, Grenada or many other Caribbean destinations, there is likely to be points of access to a magical world under the ocean.
The Caribbean has so much beauty and history beneath its waves, and it’s all best seen while scuba diving. This is truly an adventure you’ll never forget.
Recommend Diving Experience
- Dive into adventure with Kuoni in the Turks & Caicos Islands, Grenada, and Barbados.
- Take an onsite course, get PADI-certified for life and dive as deep and as often as you’d like with Sandals’ comprehensive scuba programme held at their resorts in Jamaica, the Bahamas, Antigua, Saint Lucia, Grenada and Barbados.
Close your eyes and imagine the warm wind rushing through your hair as you sail across the ocean. What freedom! Now imagine you’re at the wheel, in full control of the boat. Sounds like paradise? Well, that’s what a trip to the Caribbean is all about – paradise.
This dream can turn into reality, and whether you are an experienced seafarer or a beginner looking to try your hand at a new sport, you’ll enjoy the ideal conditions and the easy navigation of the local waters. However, if you prefer to sit back and enjoy the ride, there are many services available that will take you out on the sea.
The Caribbean is a fantastic destination for anyone interested in a sports adventure, whether you prefer to be the active participant or the spectator. From cricket on land to sailing on the sea, there are so many sports to watch and play. Contact our team of specialists today if you have any questions or you would like more information about your holiday choices.