The Best Time to Visit Caribbean Destinations for Festivals
When you conjure up images of the Caribbean, most people will picture the festivals and carnivals that are celebrated all over the islands at various times of the year.
The best time to go to Caribbean destinations for a celebration is…all year round! The call of the calypso, the rhythm of the rumba, and the aromatic scent of the pepperpots beckon, because you haven't partied until you've partied Caribbean style…
Dance to the Rhythm
The locals' capacity for music and dance knows no bounds and the traditions run proud and deep wherever you go. If you want to release your inner calypso dancer and kettle drummer, the best time to visit Caribbean destinations is during one (or more) of the many music festivals.
While some are small, local events, others have gained international renown and attract high profile acts from all over the world. The two things they all have in common, however, are music and dance, the joyful and colourful signature of this wonderful part of the world.
Whether it's rocking out to some reggae, chilling to jazz or wining to the inimitable sounds of the soca beat, this melting pot of music and dance emanates rhythm from every corner of the beaches, bars and streets. Whatever your style, and wherever you choose, once experienced, the feeling will be with you forever.
- Saint Lucia’s Soleil Summer Festival runs from May to October and features the annual Jazz and Arts Festival, which brings together international headliners and up and coming local musicians. The experienced staff at Sackville Travelare some of the best people to tailor-make a music-filled holiday here just for you.
- Ever wanted to visit the heart of the Reggae movement? There’s no better place or time than Jamaica during the Reggae Sumfest, held in July 2019. Newmont Travel can get you there in style.
- For a weekend of music under the moonlight, the Moonsplash Festival is legendary. Kenwood is one of our favourite operators with a wealth of local knowledge to help craft your perfect break to Anguilla.
Carnival is a medieval festival that has its origins in Europe, but the Caribbean has embraced the celebration and taken it to heights unsurpassed anywhere in the world.
You’ll find carnivals held for Ash Wednesday (the traditional celebration that takes place in late February or early March) in Trinidad, Tobago, Guyana, St Maarten, Puerto Rico, Dominica, and Curaçao.
These raucous, spectacular events offer visitors an experience like no other. You can expect fantastic street food, flamboyant parades, performances, dancing and music. Everyone is welcome and everyone joins in.
- Savour the flavours of the Trinidad and Tobago at one of the best-known carnivals of the year. Club Caribeeis one of our top tour operators for a vacation that will let you make the most of the event in style.
- While it’s not strictly a carnival, the Kadooment of Barbados is an experience of a lifetime with Kuoni Travel. This event is held to celebrate the end of the sugar cane harvest in August. Make sure you’re there to see the finale when the Masquerade Bands and the extravagant parade arrive in Spring Gardens.
The Caribbean certainly has the credentials to make a celebration out of sailing! There is a truly idyllic smorgasbord of opportunities to get out into the blue to explore the myriad reefs, cays, coastlines and open water of this spectacular region. From amateur paddlers to experienced sailors looking for their next big thrill, there's something for everyone.
No matter where you choose to stay, getting out on the turquoise ocean is one of the most relaxing and luxurious ways to soak up the beauty and ambience of the islands. From Martinique, the Grenadines, and the British Virgin Islands to the Bahamas and Belize, if you're looking for a celebration of sailing, you'll find one.
One of the most high profile occasions on the sailing calendar is Antigua Sailing Week, an annual event that takes in not just ocean based activities and races, but also music, food and cultural offerings as well.
Recommended Sailing Events
- Sunsailis one of our highly recommended operators that offer luxury sailing experiences during Antigua Sailing Week. If you're a fan of sailing looking for the best time to go to Caribbean destinations, go to Antigua and get carried away on the trade winds for a holiday you'll never forget.
- Don’t miss the Spring Regatta held by the British Virgin Islands planned for March in 2019. Let Audley Travel take you there in style.
The Caribbean, a Celebration of Life
The vibrant and unashamed joy of everyday life is one of our favourite aspects of this spectacular part of the planet. For different and unique reasons, every month of the year is the best time to visit Caribbean destinations, so if you need help deciding on a destination or want to know more about any of these or a host of other carnival events, get in touch with one of our experienced specialists.